Saturday 29 November 2008

Welcome to Ghana outdoors


For a long time I have felt handicapped by the lack of, then by an inappropriate, camera. It's been all the more frustrating that I'm back to my beloved Ghana and feeling very much in the mood of taking pictures.

Earlier this month, I got a Fuji FinePix S8000 fd. I'm very pleased with it. In particular, my previous camera was less than satisfactory in terms of zoom and macro. No such complain with this one, I even have a 'super-macro' feature that allows me to be less than 1/2in from the subject and get a perfect picture.

I've long been interested in dogs. More specifically, aboriginal dogs. Not "purebred" Western fabrications but natural, local, naturally adapted to the climate, available food and parasites. "Environmentally appropriate", to say it in a fashionable way, but what it really is all about is that nature did much better than any of us poor mortals could do, alone or in groups.

This blog will therefore show quite a few pictures of dogs, Ghanaian dogs, "Avuvis" (avu = dog, -vi = small in the Ewe language), but also birds, plants, ... Anything I see when outdoors and find pleasant enough to push the button.




These birds are very small, maybe not more than 3in from head to tail. They are everywhere here, including in the one tree gracing my diminutive patio. They seem to be almost as light as butterflies. Seen from afar they look just black, grey and white but with the zoom I realised that reality is much more complex and delicate, as it often is.

No comments: