Sunday 31 July 2016

A somewhat puzzling encounter


I spent the day in Agbodrafo, Togo and saw a bird which I first thought was a bar-breasted firefinch, which is a common sight where I live in Ghana.



Looking through the magnifying lens of my camera, I realised there were differences. In particular, the mottled head and back puzzled me.  



Back in front of my computer, I assumed it was a firefinch and taking this as a starting point, I came to the conclusion that it could be a Red-billed firefinch / Lagonosticta senegala / Amarante du Sénégal, although I still can't explain the mottled appearance and the somewhat faded colours. Maybe a juvenile?


A friendly reminder: appreciating is welcome, copying without prior written permission is not. Please get in touch with me if you want to use my pictures anywhere.

No comments: