Friday 7 July 2017

African grey woodpecker, male and female


Looking up from the breakfast table, you can see pretty fantastic things. This time, my 7-year old daughter spotted it before I could. She had told me before that she saw this African grey woodpecker/ Dentropicos goertae / Pic goertan, but I had seen it only once, rather long ago, so I was not sure. This time, I made up for doubting her by taking numerous pictures. They were actually several individuals, at least three, we couldn't quite decide.


I particularly like the way they use their tails to balance themselves on the coconut tree trunk, fanned out and pushed against the trunk.

 
This one doesn't have the typical red cap and is therefore probably a female.

 


As always with my early morning shots, they are a bit blurry because I take them through the (fixed) mosquito net.

A friendly reminder: I'm always thrilled when people appreciate my pictures, but if you want to use them elsewhere, please ask for my permission first. It's nice, and it's the law! Thank you.

No comments: