Tuesday 21 May 2013

Cattle bliss

More often than not, the beauty of my environment amazes me. I've developped a liking for cows. All sorts of cows. And it's lucky too, since we are in cattle country here.

Our little installation is still in place. I would have loved to catch a cow or two coming closer to snif around the unusual display, but this is the best they had to offer today.




These animals come in all combinations of colours and patterns. This spotted one seems spray-painted (with a bag on its head to keep it white?). I love the shape of the horns, and the way it moves too.


An impressive male in a somewhat unusual posture.


I particularly like these white cows with a black muzzle and inner ears. In this season, there are a lot of calves, looking tender and almost fragile, despite their already respectable size. Again, I'm quite happy with the tail and leg movement I was able to catch.


I usually don't take pictures of people, but the herdsman looked so postcard-typical, with his stick across his shoulders, that I couldn't help following him. Again, composition, even if purely fortuitous, is what pushed me to press on the button: the bird, erect in the forefront, echoes the herdman's slender figure, and the two massive cattle in the background somehow matching/offsetting the vertical subjects... What do you think? 



No comments: