Thursday 9 May 2013

Savanna giants

The savanna around my place is quite flat, but a few tall trees lend it some texture, especially on the gorgeous backdrops supplied by the Akwapim hills (west) and the Krobo inselbergs (south, west and east). I'll lay myself open to ridicule here and attempt to name the following few giants.

One of the Borassus genus. Borassus aethiopium would be my (semi-educated) guess.


This I thought was a baobab tree, but on closer inspection, I'm not so sure anymore, since its leaves are quite different from those of other trees I know to be baobabs.




These ones I'm 100% sure are baobabs (Adansonia genus):


This one played a considerable role in my decision to buy land here. It's south of my house, and I have a huge window at the foot of my bed, so that I see it first thing in the morning when I wake up. This view is actually taken standing SW of the tree,




while what I see from my bed is this:


Mostly, the rest is (small but numerous) neem trees. Although these can become quite enormous, I haven't seen any big ones around here. They have running/creeping roots and crop up literally everywhere.


No comments: