Monday 26 September 2016

Hibiscus sabdariffa


I read recently that there were many different varieties of this Red sorrel, also known as Roselle / Hibiscus sabdariffa / Oseille de Guinée. A lot of us know the Senegalese name of the drink made with it, bissap, or karkade, in Egypt. A less widely known fact is that the leaves can be consumed like spinach in any recipe calling for leafy greens.

The most common variety around Agbodrafo, Togo is this one:


But yesterday, wading through an overgrown plot of land that as best as I can guess remained untouched for the last 25 years or so, I discovered this type:


I think both can equally be consumed. Please feel free to give me the specific type names or any information that may be of interest.

Please contact me beforehand if you intend using any content found on this blog. It's nice, and it's the law. Thank you!

No comments: