Tuesday 2 December 2008

The fine art of natural balance


Another chance encounter... I caught this dog strolling past my gate and was lucky enough to have the camera handy. When I was ready to push the button it was considerate enough to assume a conventional dog show "stacked" position for me.



I find it perfectly balanced, a typical Avuvi, probably born mid-year. It will be very interesting to see how it develops.



Floppy ears are by no means unusual in Avuvis, although lots of them have erect (yet mobile) ears.



I especially like the spring in its step. A very fine specimen, ambling widely instead of trotting. This means it will be able to cover long distances without getting tired. Having both types of dogs at home, ambling and trotting, I can verify it regularly: the one I have to carry or to allow to rest when we go for a long walk is the trotting one. Although it makes it more "puppy-like" and maybe more appealing to some fanciers, I don't think it's the best adapted to fending for itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Is it ok to use some of the photos you have taken of Avuvis in a webpage for spitz & primitive dogs? I would be interested to use the ones that are shown here: http://indianpariahdog.blogspot.fr/2008/12/avuvi-of-ghana.html

I would mention the copyright holder and add a link to your blog. The website where I would like to use those photos is:
http://pystykorvat.suntuubi.com/?cat=55