Wednesday 3 December 2008

Lucky bag


Last year when I was in France I bought a small bag of what was supposed to be passion fruit seeds. I was very surprised to discover it developed into something completely different; I suspect it was rather sensitives (Mimosa pudica, which is also sold by Vilmorin), which are now flowering.


I read somewhere that Mimosa pudica grew to about 2ft, but it's probably valid only in temperate climates. One of mine is now around 12ft high and it's not yet one year old.


I also read that the flowers were pale mauve or violet, but these ones are definitely white. Maybe the soil where they grow has a bearing on their colour.


I'm a little disappointed. Granted, growing sensitive plants is fun, what with their leaves folding up when you tickle them, but I wanted passion fruit first to intertwine with and cover the bars, and second, for the fruit itself, which I find delicious.

No comments: