Thursday 17 November 2016

Future garden loading - Day 2


I thought of the places that are a bit far from the taps to be hose-watered and since I had already prickly pear cacti in the making (paddles taken from the disused part of land next to the old rail tracks in Agbodrafo. I left them to "dry" as advised on numerous web pages before I put them in the soil, but life happened and I didn't plant them after 2 weeks and they did what a lot of plants do here: they got crazy without any soil or water. Some were on a louver blade in my sitting room (first picture) and the others on the floor in an abandoned building (second picture). They seem to be thriving on neglect!



I've always loved cacti so I went to a nursery I pass by every day and where they seemed to have more dry-weather plants (cacti, succulents, etc.) than most. The reason was not very nice (the informal gardener had his water supply cut by the owners of the land where he plies his trade three weeks ago) but it meant that whatever remained appealing after 3 weeks without water was probably fairly drought resistant. That's exactly what I need for the far-away corners of my garden!

I selected 3 different types of cacti, and the nursery gentleman threw in a decorative pineapple plant (on the right hand side) and tall so far unnamed flowers some variety of what I think are cannas (on the left hand side)...


I also selected some baobabs. I think they never grow very tall or will grow so slowly that it's rather safe to plant 10 of them on my land. They have very nice trunks, leaves and flowers.


I was fascinated by this plant with its blades that are light green upside and violet on the underside. Very striking and unusual!


These spineless green "sticks" on the left are some sort of succulent too. I'm told they won't grow much taller than they are now (about 4ft) but will spread fast. I felt they would make an interesting addition in the dry corner of my garden.


This is my collection so far. I ordered another few plants which I will collect tomorrow (they have to be carefully uprooted because unlike most of what I've bought so far, they are not in individual plastic bags ready to go). I plan on getting everything in the ground over the weekend.




No comments: