Saturday 14 April 2018

Ginger (ornamental)


A few months back I acquired this plant which I discovered is some variety of ornamental ginger. The nursery had a lot of them with bright red 'tips', which I hesitated to identify as flowers: they looked as much like painted pine cones as any kind of flower I had ever seen. I looked it up on the Internet and found a probable scientific name for it: Costus woodsonii, and many English names, among which Dwarf French kiss, Red button ginger, Scarlet Spiral Flag, Red Cane, and Panamanian Candle Ginger.


It seems that the next stage is for the cone to open and allow yellow flowers to emerge. The most interesting part is that these flowers are supposedly edible. Now we have some new experience to be looking forward to!


A friendly reminder: although I'm tickled pink when you appreciate my posts, please contact me before you use or repost them. It's nice and it's the law. Thank you!

No comments: