Sunday 15 April 2018

The cycle of life


I've posted in the past about the lizards we find everywhere around here. The most striking is probably Agama agama, and in particular the male of the species, with its orange head. One important point I want to make right away: it came to my notice a while ago that some people believe them to be poisonous. It seems to be a rather common misconception in West and Central Africa. I've looked it up quite extensively and there is absolutely nothing to corroborate it. 


Now to my main point: Yesterday I discovered a female laying eggs in a hole. Although I knew how they did it in theory, it was my first time witnessing it. Although they don't lay a lot of eggs (only 5-7), it seems to be quite a long process. The female was 'frozen' in place for a while.


A word of caution: although I'm tickled pink when you appreciate my posts and pictures, they are all mine, and copyrighted. Please contact me if you are considering using them in any way. It's the polite thing to do and it's the law. Thank you!

No comments: