Saturday 14 April 2018

Mango tree


I mentioned so often drowning under gazillions of mangoes that I felt posting pictures of the one tree I get them all from was long overdue. There are many mango trees on the property, but I can't possibly deal with all of them and sell or process everything. This one tree gives me about 100 fruits a day in season (two seasons a year).


Should you ever visit me, you would sleep in this bungalow next to the infamous tree. The first night is bound to be disturbed by the noise mangoes make while falling from the tree. Coconuts too fall haphazardly and can be startling before you get used to that sound too.


Now, these are very fiber-rich fruits, that are not so easy or pleasant to eat as is, despite being juicy and tasty. I've found that they make delicious unsweetened preserves, though.


I just peel them, put about 40 of them in the slow cooker overnight, then stone them and purée them (I've found that a traditional hand-operated vegetable mixer like this works best). I put it back in the slow cooker for another night so that it concentrates and caramelises in its own juice and natural sugars. That's it. Zero sugar, sweeteners or flavours added. The kids and I have it almost every day of the year.


A word for the wise: please contact me if you want to use or repost any materials published in this blog. It's the polite thing to do, and it's the law. Thank you!


No comments: