Monday 29 August 2016

Birding is not for the impatient...


This bird gave me a lot of work. I saw it for the first time ever (I think!) this morning in Agbodrafo, Togo, and was lucky enough to be able to take a picture of it before it flew away. I spent more or less the rest of the day trying to identify it.

At first, I thought it was a Pin-tailed Whydah / Vidua macroura / Veuve dominicaine out of its breeding season long tail, but I looked it up and realised it couldn't be, since the beak was black, and the pin-tailed whydah's one is always red. Starting with a preconceived idea is the worst way to proceed, but it's extremely difficult to get rid of a first impression. I finally settled on an identification which I find likely. Allow me to introduce the Southern fiscal / Lanius collaris / Pie-grièche fiscale


A friendly reminder: appreciating is welcome, copying is not. Please contact me if you want to use any materials posted on this blog. Not only it will be the nice, polite way of doing things, but it will also keep you on the right side of the copyright laws. Thank you!

No comments: