Monday 29 August 2016

Birds of a same feather... or not!


Birds are tricky. They are small (often), easily spooked, take off very fast (most of them) and there are tiny variations from one subspecies to another. And then, there are males and females. It may sound stupid, but they are often so vastly different that it's difficult to remember who is who, especially in females, which are routinely drabber. And then, there is the added difficulty of actually seeing them in the surrounding shrubbery.

Today's discovery, clicked in Agbodrafo, Togo, is no exception. It took me another hour to get what I think is a proper identification. The yellowish-greenish colour and general appearance pointed me to a weaver of sorts. There are thousands of them around where I am. I was able to take pictures of Village weaver / Ploceus cucculatus / Tisserin gendarme before, but I was aware there were several types of weavers coexisting in the same area. I think this is a female Black-headed weaver / Ploceus melanocephalus / Tisserin à tête noire. As always, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.


A friendly reminder: appreciating is welcome, copying without prior written permission is not. Please get in touch with me if you want to use my pictures anywhere. Thank you!

No comments: